What to draw on the wall: painting bas-reliefs in the kitchen with a pencil with your own hands under a stencil, what can be drawn
The modern kitchen is increasingly moving away from outdated norms in the design of this place in the house. Originality, brightness, bold design combined with convenience and practicality are in vogue. The wall design sets the tone for the entire kitchen. And in this case, we are talking not only about wallpaper or painting but also about wall decor. Among a large number of wall decor options in the kitchen, there is sure to be one that you will like and will be available in implementation, for example, a drawing on the entire wall.
Ideally, the design of the walls is fully thought out at the stage of the kitchen project and if you are at the stage of starting the renovation. But a number of possible decoration methods can freshen up the kitchen even when the old design is “boring” and you are not ready for a major renovation. Consider possible examples of wall decoration in the kitchen.
Table of Contents
- What to draw on the wall: painting bas-reliefs in the kitchen with a pencil with your own hands under a stencil, what can be drawn
- Kitchen decor
- Drawing on the wall
- Bas-reliefs in the kitchen
- What to paint on the wall: types of decorative painting
Drawing on the wall
A great opportunity to make the interior stylish and original – drawings on the wall. This solution is suitable both for focusing on one of the walls and for filling in empty space. The drawing can be applied using a stencil or hand-painted.
Such techniques as the accentuation of zones, unusual combination of materials can make the design fashionable and beautiful.
In order to put a picture on the wall, which will please the eye, you either need to have the appropriate skills or contact a professional artist. Any interior designer can make a drawing according to your project, this is a fairly popular service.
Wallpaper is removed from the wall on which the drawing will be applied, the wall is leveled and painted in one tone. First, a draft drawing is created, applied to the wall with a pencil. Then, after the approval of the project, the walls are painted with paints. A drawing on a wall properly prepared for application can last more than 10 years.
Before drawing a picture, you need to take care of the absence of all unnecessary elements that can reduce the effect of the picture: sockets, switches, protrusions. If it is impossible to get rid of them, they must be skillfully included in the composition.
Drawings with liquid wallpaper
Liquid wallpaper – this is the name of a modern material that is gaining popularity for decorative wall covering. It combines the advantages of plaster and ordinary wallpaper in rolls. The technique of applying liquid wallpaper is very difficult and requires patience and accuracy. But the complexity of working with this material is compensated by a high-quality and durable result.
Liquid wallpaper in such conditions demonstrates practicality and durability.
A drawing made from this material is very suitable for a kitchen, a room characterized by high humidity and temperature drops.
Liquid wallpaper in the interior will help create interesting images using contrasts, multi-colored stripes, play with relief. Drawings with details of still life, stylized cups, teapots, forks and spoons, fruits, and vegetables will look very appropriate.
Small details of the drawing can be completed using another means, for example, a marker or felt-tip pen.
Stencils for paint
The most affordable and easiest way to apply a picture to the walls is a stencil. To use a stencil, you do not need special artistic skills, just a little imagination and accurate work are enough.
Where can I get stencils?
- Special shapes-patterns for painting walls are sold in building materials stores.
- There are special online stores where you can purchase them.
- It’s easy to make a stencil yourself: just find a suitable drawing on the Internet and print it in the right size.
Transferring the drawing to the lavsan film and cutting the drawing along the contour with a clerical knife, you will receive a ready-made stencil.
The procedure for stencil painting is simple:
1. First, you need to mark the wall into areas on which the shapes will be applied.
2. Then the stencil is installed on the wall, for this, you can use construction tape or special aerosol glue.
3. Apply paint to the wall through the carved drawing. Acrylic paste or fine-grained plaster works well for this.
4. After waiting for the paint to dry, carefully remove the stencil.
Regardless of what tools you use to apply the paint: brush, roller or spray, you need to pick up the paint a little, otherwise smudges will form.
The mosaic on the kitchen wall looks very appropriate and aesthetically pleasing. This finishing method allows you to restore, creating many original color and texture variations, suitable specifically for your interior. In addition, mosaic tiles are durable and moisture resistant material.
There is a wide variety of mosaic tile options, here are the main ones:
- Ceramic mosaic . It is durable and durable, easy to clean and environmentally friendly.
- Glass panel . Glass tiles are also highly resistant to moisture and chemical compounds.
- Plastic mosaic . This type of PVC mosaic is easy to install on your own, since the panels are easily separated using scissors or a utility knife. Its advantages are its cheap price and the possibility of easy replacement. From such a mosaic, you can make any drawing by choosing the colors that suit your interior. The disadvantages of this material include susceptibility to deformation.
- A tile that simulates a mosaic . It is a tile made up of smaller squares.
- Broken tile mosaic . This option looks very original and cheaper than a whole tile. In addition, you can prepare the broken tiles yourself.
How to create a mosaic pattern with your own hands
There are many technologies for creating a mosaic pattern – from the simplest, geometric, to using a computer, which even allows you to compose a reproduction of a masterpiece of some artist. The geometric method involves a simple alternation with a different sequence of squares of different colors. You can find out about the PVC apron here.
The computer can also be used for the geometric method. On the Internet, you can find free special color matching programs and determine those color combinations that will look the most aesthetically pleasing in your interior.
There are also ready-made mosaic modules, the choice of patterns is wide enough and satisfies any request. The technology for laying such a mosaic is greatly simplified.
To create a mosaic panel, special matrices, mosaic grids are used. The squares are glued to the frame and a tile of a certain size is obtained. Learn how to transform an old table with a ceramic countertop in this material.
To create complex drawings, you can use special computer programs, they will help to break the image into squares with great accuracy, select the optimal color for each fragment so that the resulting image resembles the original as much as possible.
The mosaic laying process consists of the following steps:
1. Preparatory work. The surface on which the mosaic matrix will be applied is carefully leveled and primed. It is very important that the surface is well cleaned and dry.
2. Surface marking. Matrix sheets should be laid out on the floor according to the figure, measurements should be made. Then control marks are placed on the wall in accordance with the measurements.
3. Apply glue solution to the surface. After that, the installation begins directly. The adhesive does not need to be applied to the entire surface at once, otherwise, it will dry out before the entire mosaic matrix is applied. The matrices are laid and after the final adjustment of the sheets to each other, they are firmly pressed into the adhesive solution.
4. Grouting. After you make sure that the solution has completely solidified, remove the protective layer from the mosaic by soaking it first. Do not wait until the grout dries, as this will make it difficult to remove the grout.
Mosaic glue should be white, its type is selected in accordance with the surface material. A special trowel suitable for applying the adhesive should be about twice the sides of the mosaic module. Correct selection of a trowel will prevent glue from protruding onto the mosaic surface during installation.
Bas-reliefs in the kitchen
Bas-relief is a three-dimensional painting technique, a convex image that stands out above the surface of the wall. The bas-relief can be in the form of various objects, figures.
The bas-relief is made exclusively by hand from plaster, plaster, clay, putty, and other materials.
The bas-relief looks quite impressive, additionally illuminated by a directional lamp. Do not create too majestic bas-relief: it is not easy to maintain and may look out of place in the kitchen.
Stucco on kitchens
In the old days, such decoration elements as bas-reliefs and stucco moldings could only be afforded by very wealthy people. Currently, there are available materials and simple technologies that make it possible to design rooms in ordinary houses in this way. The stucco decoration is made of plaster or polyurethane. Polyurethane is considered the most suitable, since it is lightweight, moisture resistant and easy to install. There is a wide variety of possible decorative elements from stucco molding: rosettes, borders, plinths, domes, cornices and other products.
Ceiling moldings are very popular in the kitchen. It gives the room a sophisticated look, allows you to hide some defects in decoration, and can also be used for installing hidden lighting.
Watch the video of the master class on how to make a do-it-yourself bas-relief:
Volumetric drawing in the interior in the kitchen
With the help of decorative plaster, you can implement any design ideas: ethno motives, landscapes, retro elements and much more. A tree, columns or flowers protruding against the background of the wall looks great. Volumetric drawings are created using special stencils, but complex decorative panels can be created by an invited artist.
Modern bas-reliefs look unusual, stylish and fashionable
The stencil allows you to apply a volumetric image yourself. To do this, you need to strengthen the stencil, put a layer of plaster mixture on top, after which the stencil is removed and, after drying, is cleaned, leveled and painted.
What to paint on the wall: types of decorative painting
When choosing a subject for a drawing on the kitchen wall, first of all it is worth considering the option of a still life: the association with food looks appropriate, creates coziness and increases appetite. The theme of winemaking, images of exquisite dishes are well suited. Another classic option for the kitchen is various plants, flowers and birds, tree branches. Learn about the secrets of harmony in the kitchen according to Feng Shui at this link.
If you want to create a sense of spaciousness, the pattern should be light. For this purpose, the image of landscapes, windows, valleys is well suited. Drawings of warm colors, picturesque compositions with nature, the old town, images of cutlery and funny chefs will help to create coziness.
If you want to complement the design of your kitchen in a modern loft or high-tech style, you can use clear and sharp lines, the principle of minimalism, abstract painting. Photos with a variety of kitchen design options can help you find an idea for wall decor.
Classic kitchen is impossible without stucco on the ceiling
But even a beginner can draw such a picture.
So, modern tools allow you to create an extraordinary and unique design that does not require large financial costs and time to invest. Remember that decor is, first of all, wall art and a flight of imagination. Therefore, after reading all the tips and tricks, apply also your intuition and imagination, and then you will find the very idea (theme) for your interior, which will create the right atmosphere, warm the house and surprise your guests! And you can practice creating an interior in services where you can draw online yourself and for free.