Flowers are always beautiful. We admire them in wildlife and try to decorate our home with them. Probably, it was the flowers that were the very first attempt of a person to decorate his house. Therefore, love for indoor flowers is inherent in nature. We try to decorate our home with them, and since the kitchen is its heart, we do not ignore it.
Indoor flowers in the kitchen
The kitchen is not only a place where the family spends a lot of time, but also a place where food is prepared, which means that high temperatures, humidity changes, hot fumes and grease splashes are a common occurrence here. Not all indoor plants are able to withstand such climate metamorphoses.
What to consider when choosing a houseplant:
- Illumination . This is one of the most important conditions for the comfortable growth of a houseplant. Everything depends on the light: from flowering and the size of leaves and inflorescences, to reproduction and even just the longevity of the plant.
- temperature . All indoor plants are hybrids or adapted plants from different countries. Most often these are southern countries, where the temperature does not differ much, in winter and summer, as in our apartments. Therefore, this should be taken into account when choosing a plant.
- drafts . Nothing that affects a houseplant so badly is drafts. Tropical flowering plants are especially “afraid” of them. Therefore, if you like to open windows wide open, choose hardy plants.
- Kitchen size . And although this parameter is not so important for the life of the plant, nevertheless, it is this parameter that becomes decisive in the design of the room and the selection of decor. So a huge palm tree in a tub will seem out of place in a mini-kitchen in Khrushchev, and miniature violets in pots will simply get lost on high windows with wide window sills in the layout of the kitchen-living room.
How to choose
We do not recommend choosing expensive exotic flowers for the kitchen. Such instances are most often very demanding on compliance with all the parameters of their content. The slightest change in temperature, a draft or poor lighting – a bright, beautiful flower will wither and may die.
As an option, expensive tropical plants can be placed in the combined kitchen of the dining room, placing them in the recreation or dining area, away from work surfaces.
That is why we advise you to choose unpretentious options for indoor plants, which are suitable for the kitchen.
The most frequent guests in the kitchen: begonia, geranium, primrose. These are beautiful flowers, the flowering period of which is quite long, but at the same time, they are unpretentious and easy to care for. Perhaps this is the best option for the kitchen.
Blooming flowers for the kitchen
Well suited for the kitchen cyclamen, azalea, violet, Kalanchoe. Balsam tolerates high humidity well. In the large kitchen, you can place a Chinese rose.
The Feng Shui teaching recommends putting a pot of geraniums in the kitchen – it copes well with negative energy and fatigue.
With original leaves
Ornamental plants such as croton with multi-colored leaves, shefler look good. The beautiful dracaena is resistant to elevated temperatures.
If the dracaena is not transplanted into a spacious pot, it will not grow too large. And which countertop for the kitchen is better to choose, you can find out at the link.
It looks like flowers with original leaves for the kitchen
It is good to plant bamboo in the kitchen. It will look especially interesting as a living wall between the cooking area and the dining room or kitchen and living room.
In the sink area, you can arrange pots with arrowroot or calathea – they are not afraid if a few drops fall on the leaves.
Sansevieria is a plant that is almost impossible to “kill” with poor care. Without watering, “Teschin’s tongue”, as it was nicknamed by the people, can stand for several months.
Small plants that not only bloom, but also bear fruit are appropriate in the kitchen like nowhere else. This is an ornamental pepper, a miniature coffee tree. A large kitchen can accommodate a lemon or orange tree.
This is what fruit plants for the kitchen might look like
Many housewives grow decorative tomatoes or cucumbers on kitchen windowsills.
Drafts in the kitchen are common, but not all houseplants can handle them. Begonia, zebrina, hypoestes, scindapsus are not afraid of drafts and they can safely decorate the kitchen.
Chlorophytum is an unpretentious and one of the most hardy indoor plants. This pretty plant, which looks like overgrown grass, does not need drought (if you suddenly forget to water), poor lighting, or temperature changes.
If your kitchen is sunny and warm, you can place succulent plants. These are all kinds of cacti, agave, aloe, spathiphyllum, krasula. Such plants can be grown not only in flowerpots familiar to us, but also create an interesting composition in an aquarium or in small transparent vessels. For greater decorativeness, you can consider the option of painting on glass with stained glass paints.
Some succulent lovers even manage to grow whole paintings from cacti, spathiphyllum, or agaves.
Suitable for a large, spacious kitchen. These are primarily miniature trees and palms: yucca, dracaena, orange, lemon, Chinese tree. A frequent guest in the house is a ficus. And, of course, the beautiful monstera or dieffenbachia, which will delight you with beautiful and unusual leaves.
Yucca flowers for the kitchen
If space allows, you can create a small corner – a winter garden, which will be a beautiful addition to the interior.
These are all sorts of climbing plants. The most frequent guests at the forges are tradescantia, chlorophytum, passionflower, ivy, varieties of vines, etc. It is worth noting that the ampelous plants are mostly unpretentious, but you should not place them near the cooking zone – greasy fumes, settling on the leaves, can very quickly destroy the plant.
Climbing plants for the kitchen
It is worth knowing that if the leaves of your tradescantia or ivy begin to dry in the kitchen during normal watering, this may be a sign of increased danger. So plants signal that the level of harmful radiation from appliances and furniture goes off scale and becomes dangerous for humans.
Vegetable garden in the kitchen
Many housewives grow herbs, spices, lettuce and other herbs instead of indoor plants. By planting a vegetable garden in this way on the windowsill in the form of green onions, parsley or basil, you can not only decorate the kitchen, but also provide yourself with greenery for the whole year.
This is what the kitchen garden looks like
Where not to put flowers
- If you have a high refrigerator, a kitchen shelf with free upper shelves or other surfaces under the ceiling, it is not recommended to put flowers there, as all the warm air rises and will dry out the soil of the plants, thereby preventing them from developing normally;
- never put flowers next to the sink, you might think that this is a good place, they say the flowers will be irrigated with water more often, but along with moisture, chemicals in the form of dishwashing detergents will also get on them, and this is detrimental to any flower;
- next to the stove or hood, all the oxygen that is very important for the plant will go into the hood or evaporate from the stove and sooner or later the flower will disappear.
You can find out about a small sofa in the kitchen in this article.
The most successful places
- Special shelves on the walls are ideal for well-lit kitchens, but if there is a lot of shade, then only the windowsill;
- The flower pot should be at a distance from the source of heat and moisture, the dining area is ideal;
On a cold windowsill with drafts, even the most wear-resistant flower will wither very soon.
A correctly selected flower will not only delight and decorate, but will also bring harmony, good luck to the house, relieve fatigue, or simply warn of the danger posed by fashionable technology.