Today I come to present you a spectacular alternative for our sweet Lenten tables with this recipe for traditional torrijas and some original alternatives, a typical Spanish dish. If we want a delicious and easy alternative for Easter, we no longer have to think: Torrijas de leche as they are made in Spain!
The traditional Spanish torrijas recipe, or the most popular, is the milk torrijas. However, we can also find its very delicious variants such as making wine torrijas and honey torrijas. We can also make baked or fried torrijas, whatever we like the most!
About these of milk torrijas
Like the French toast that I published a while ago, this dish is based on a slice of bread that is moistened with some liquid, most of the time it is prepared with milk but we can also find alternatives with syrup or wine. Today we are going to see the versions of traditional torrijas in Spain.
Once the recipe is moistened, continue coating the toast in egg and cooking it either in a pan with oil or in the oven, and then sweeten it with sugar, honey, molasses or other alternatives. Finally, in most cases, cinnamon is used as a flavoring.
What I like most about the baked French toast recipe is that it does not include anything you don’t have at home and they are so much fun to make. If the whole family participates, I assure you that they will be much richer! Cheer up, buddy. What are we going to need? (Put on a cute Rosalia theme before you start).
- 1 loaf of bread from the day before
- 1 liter of milk
- 1 cinnamon stick
- Lemon and orange peel flakes
- 3 eggs beaten
- Olive oil for frying
- Sugar and cinnamon powder
Variants of traditional torrijas
- 250 ml of sweet wine or red wine
- 250ml of Water
How to make traditional milk torrijas step by step
- Heat 1 liter of milk with a tablespoon of sugar, a cinnamon stick and lemon and orange peel lacquers. Once the mixture boils, turn off the heat, cover and let it rest
- Cut the loaf of bread from the day before with a knife into slices 1 and a half fingers wide.
- Once the mixture has cooled, we filter it with a fine mesh strainer and moisten the slices of bread previously cut on both sides.
- We beat 3 eggs in a bowl and smear the wet bread loaves in milk
- We drain well so that it does not splash and we place our torrijas in milk and egg in a pan with olive oil at temperature
- Once they are well browned on both sides, we remove the excess oil on a plate with absorbent paper
- We prepare in a deep plate a mixture of sugar and cinnamon powder in quantities to suit the consumer
- Before these delicious milk torrijas cool down, we batter them on the plate round and round looking for it to be very moist and END !! Incredibly easy right?
Now all that remains is to prepare something delicious to drink and accompany this plate of milk torrijas!
Baked Torrijas Recipe
If we want a recipe for healthier milk torrijas and avoid frying them in oil, we can learn how to make baked torrijas. Do not worry! They are very very rich too. How? .. Look how easy to bake French toast!
- We turn on the oven and heat it up to 200 degrees
- We prepare the roasting pan by placing baking paper. (Tip: if you want you can splash the roasting pan with a few drops of water before placing the paper so that it does not move)
- We place our milk and egg torrijas as we prepared them previously on the baking paper
- We go round and round until they are very pretty
- We bathe with the mixture of sugar and cinnamon powder until they burn wet and you already have them!
French toast recipe with honey
And finally, because I want us to get to work, I give you one more alternative for those who get a little bored with cinnamon. Both in the milk torrijas and the wine torrijas the last step can be replaced where we smear them with sugar and cinnamon using honey.
All you have to do is put honey and water in a pot on the fire. Once it reaches temperature, submerge our torrijas fresh from the pan in this very tasty mixture, we leave them for a little while and eat!
Let’s put our creativity to work! .. Can you think of a different variant friends? Come on, I know for sure many of you will put your touch .. In the end, get down to work and make a recipe for traditional French toast or any of its variants, be it baked or fried French toast, it’s not that difficult, right?