The arrival of mango season in India is highly anticipated by many, as this fruit holds a special place in their hearts. It brings back fond memories of carefree childhood days and is often called “The King of Fruits.” Mangoes are not just a delightful dessert but are also used in various dishes, including curries and pickles. Among the many delectable preparations that feature mangoes, the Sweet Mango Pickle stands out as one of the most cherished delicacies.
The sweet mango pickle is a much-loved Indian condiment that provides an enjoyable mix of sweet and sour tastes. It enables people to relish the flavour of mangoes throughout the year, adding a delicious twist to even the simplest Indian meals like dal chawal. This pickle can also be enjoyed with paranthas or as a side dish by itself. With so many ways to use this tasty condiment, it’s easy to incorporate it into your meals and enjoy its unique flavour.
The Essence of Sweet Mango Pickle
The sweet mango pickle is a one-of-a-kind Indian pickle that is distinguishable by its delectable sweet and tangy taste. Unlike most pickles with a spicy kick, this one has a flavour reminiscent of sweet and sour candy, making it an absolute delight to the taste buds. It’s so enjoyable that some people even eat it on its own as a snack. Moreover, the pickle features subtle spicy notes in the aftertaste that harmoniously blend with all the other Indian flavours, making it a perfect representation of the country’s diverse culinary heritage.
The Art of Preparation
In many Indian families, the homemade sweet mango pickle recipe is considered a cherished heirloom, filled with irresistible flavours and generations of love. Typically, it takes 8-10 days to prepare this pickle, but our recipe offers a way to achieve the same delicious taste in a much shorter amount of time.
Essential Ingredients and Spices
The only ingredients you will need for this delicious mango pickle are:
- Raw mangoes (raja puri or baby mangoes are considered ideal)
- Any unflavoured oil
- Turmeric powder
- Red chilli powder
Sweet Mango Pickle Recipe
- First, make sure to thoroughly wash the mangoes and peel them. Then, cut them into small, thin pieces or cubes and set them aside. The mangoes used must be raw and green. Chop them into 1-inch pieces and set them aside.
- Heat some flavourless oil in a pan or kadhai and add mustard seeds and fenugreek seeds.
- Let the seeds crackle and slightly change colour.
- When the seeds are slightly brown, add the mangoes. Also, add salt, turmeric, red chilli powder and jaggery.
- Keep mixing and cooking until the jaggery melts.
- Once the jaggery is properly melted, it will form syrup. At this point, turn off the heat and let the pickle cool down.
- The mango slices will get softer as the pickle cools down completely. Set it aside for a day.
The day after making the pickle, it will be ready to serve. It can be stored in the refrigerator for up to six months. Transfer it to glass jars or mud bharnis and enjoy your homemade sweet mango pickle.
Sweet Mango Pickle Shelf Life and Storage
Use a clean, dry glass container or mud bharni to store pickles properly. Avoid transferring the pickle to a plastic or metal container while it is still hot. For a maximum shelf life of six months, refrigerate the mango pickle. Always use a clean spoon to take out the pickle, and avoid leaving the spoon in the container as it may reduce the shelf life.
If you’re looking to add some excitement to your meals, the sweet mango pickle is a great way to do it. It’s bursting with flavour and can be paired with various dishes, from paranthas to rice and curd. If you don’t have the time or energy to make your own, you can purchase the most authentic and delicious homemade pickle online from FarmDidi.