The Spanish omelet is one of the quintessential dishes of Spanish gastronomy. To make it we only need three ingredients: eggs, potatoes and a good oil … it is liked by adults and children and it is prepared in almost all houses and like all popular recipes, each one prepare the potato omelet in his own way: some with onion, others without onion, juicy, well done… some freshly made hot and others cold.
Today we share with you how we always prepare it at home; sometimes we also add green pepper in strips that also cold at the same time, anyway the spanish omelet is always very good, accompanied by a delicious salad we will have a very complete dish.
What is your trick to make the best spanish omelet recipe ?
Spanish Omelet, THE PERFECT RECIPE
Table of Contents
- Spanish Omelet, THE PERFECT RECIPE
Ingredients for 4 people
- 5 eggs
- 500 g of potatoes
- 1 onion
- Extra virgin olive oil
How to make spanish omelet, with or without onion …?
Spanish omelet with onion, yes or no?
Our first dilemma when faced with making a spanish omelet is deciding whether or not to make it with onion. I personally like much more with onion, but I know many cases that literally “hate” onion, so in case you are going to make a Spanish omelette for a varied group, it is better to ask, or when in doubt , skip the onion or use onion powder, because it is usually the texture and not the flavor, which is not usually liked by those who have an onion phobia.
Another alternative is to make it adding green peppers, which also give it a very special flavor.
First step: cut and fry the potatoes and onion
Peel and wash the potatoes, cut them into thin slices like the onion. We put both things in a frying pan and cover with extra virgin olive oil, let them cook over medium-low heat until they begin to brown.
Second step: mix with the eggs
We take them out of the pan and drain well. We put in a large bowl, apart we beat the eggs and add them to the potatoes and onion, add a little salt and mix. We leave a couple of minutes to mix well.
Step three: cook the omelette
We put a couple of tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil in the pan and pour everything. At first we break a little, as if we were going to make a scramble, then we are shaping it around the edges. When we see that it is curdled at the bottom, we put a plate or a lid on top of the pan and turn it quickly. We put the pan on the fire again and slide the omelette from the plate to the pan. We leave a few more minutes (2 or 3 if you like more curd, less if you like juicy) for it to finish making and we already have our omelette ready .
Tricks to make a perfect Spanish omelette
- Potato / egg ratio: for every 100 g of potatoes, we will use one egg. If you like it juicier, you can add an extra egg. If you prefer more curd, use one less egg.
- Cut the potatoes so that the slices have a similar thickness, so that they cook evenly. The cut it onion julienne , not too thin, so they do not burn.
- You must fry the potatoes and onions over low heat in plenty of oil , so that the onion does not turn brown and the potatoes do not burn on the outside and are raw on the inside, the potatoes must be soft and slightly golden .
- Give your omelette your personal touch : to the traditional recipe you can add chorizo, peppers, prawns, chili …
- What use potatoes: the best potatoes for frying are the most compact, like Baraka , the Spunta , the Agria and Caesar. You can find more information about the types of potatoes.
- Use a good nonstick skillet to keep the omelette from sticking. What’s more, if you can have a pan only for the omelette, the better.