Smoked Lamb Shoulder Big Green Egg
Lamb Shoulder is equal to lamb chops in any summer popularity contest at the grill. The Lamb Shoulder may be roasted whole, but these days many barbecue enthusiastschoose to have it alternately boned and butterflied. Not only does a butterflied lamb cook in one quarter the time required for a whole leg, but the problem of carving the meat at the table has been virtually eliminated. Smoked Lamb Shoulder Big Green Egg recipe is described here.
It is essential to marinate butterflied or whole Lamb Shoulder overnight to keep the meat moist during the cooking. Like all other cuts, Lamb Shoulder should be served medium-rare.
A few wood chunks, or a handful of chips, will give lamb an extra dimension. Garlic cloves, dried spices (presoaked), and lemon peel are also excellent options for flavoring lamb.
When choosing a bone-in lamb for the grill, I advise you to select a half or three-quarterLamb weighing no more than 4 pounds. This will keep the cooking time under 1½ hours.Garlic and lemon in tandem are the flavor architects of this roast.
- ½ or ¾ Lamb Shoulder, 4 pounds or less
- 1 clove garlic, cut into slivers
- Peel of 1 lemon, cut into slivers.
- Vegetable oil
- ¼ cup unsalted butter, melted
- Juice of ½ lemon
- With an ice pick, poke holes in the surface of the lamb and insert slivers of garlic, alternating with slivers of lemon peel. Let stand 3 hours.
- Preheat the grill.
- If using a charcoal grill, spread the coals apart and place a drip pan in the center. If using pre-soaked wood chips, sprinkle them over the hot coals. If using a gas grill, place the drip pan on one side of the grill directly on the lava rocks and add any presoaked chips to the pan. Brush the grid lightly with oil.
- Place the Smoked Lamb Shoulder Big Green Egg on the grid over the drip pan and cover-cook with vents three-Quarters open over medium-hot heat, occasionally basting with melted butter and lemon juice, 18 to 20 minutes per pound for rare (internal temperature: 135 degrees), 20 to 22 minutes per pound for medium (internal temperature: 150 degrees). (Charcoal users will have to add more prelit coals after the first 45 minutes.)
- Serves 4 to 6.
Instant Pot Mexican Braised Lamb
Preparation Time: 15 minutesCook Time: 1 hour
Makes: 4 lamb shanks1 tbsp olive oil2 tsp + 1/2 tsp kosher saltFour lamb shanksOne minced celery stalkOne large minced onionFour crushed garlic cloves1 (skin removed & minced) carrot1 tsp oregano, dried1 tbsp tomato paste1/4 tsp cinnamon, ground1 tsp thyme, dried1 cup chicken stock or water1/2 cup red wine15-16 oz. can crushed tomatoes
- Add olive oil into the instant pot.
- Select the “saute” setting on the instant pot.
- Add 2 tsp of salt to the lamb shanks.
- Divide lamb shanks into two equal parts; sear the first lamb shank portion in the instant pot for 3 minutes per side, until browned.
- Repeat process for the remaining lamb shank portion.
- Using a slotted spoon, transfer browned lamb shanks into a bowl.
- Add tomato paste, garlic, carrot, celery and onions into the instant pot.
- Sprinkle 1/2 tsp salt, cinnamon, thyme, and oregano into the instant pot.
- Saute until onions become tender, for 5 minutes.
- Pour red wine into the mixture in the instant pot.
- Saute red wine until simmering.
- Stir and scrape instant pot sides and bottom to remove browned bits.
- Pour chicken stock or water into the instant pot, stirring continuously.
- Transfer browned lamb shanks and juices from the bowl set aside to the instant pot.
- Using a spoon, make sure lamb shanks is well immersed in the instant pot’s liquid mixture.
- Transfer crushed tomatoes over lamb shank mixture.
- Close the lid of the instant pot and set vent to “sealed.”
- Select “manual’ setting on the instant pot and select a 45 minute cook time.
- Once the cooking time has been reached, select the “cancel” setting and allow pressure to be released naturally for 20 minutes until the float valve drops down.
- Open the instant pot lid.Make sure pressure has been released before opening the lid of the inStant pot.
- Transfer shanks to a platter pour a little bit of lamb shank sauce over the lamb shanks.
- TIP: The lamb shank liquid mixture in the instant pot is your lamb shank sauce.
- Serve and enjoy.