Today we present: shredded meat. Depending on the area of the world where they are, the shredded meat will be something different. In Latin America, for example, to grill a meat is to cook it in some liquid until it is so tender that it falls apart with a fork, frays and serves as a filling for tacos, arepas, sandwiches …
The shredded meat recipe that I’m going to share with you today is more Andalusian-style. It is a meat with little things, to eat it with potatoes, with a salad or something like that calmly. They can use some lean meat, such as loin, or bondiola. And they can do it both in the oven and in the saucepan. If they have a pressure cooker they will do it in a little while!
This recipe will serve you for any meat, and I will also tell you a little about what it means and what it is for. Because it is not a question of just doing things just because, don’t you think?
What does “mechar” mean and what is it for?
We talk a lot about shredded meat, but what are we talking about? Ok, here I explain more or less the cooking meaning. Mecharing is a cooking technique that is used to give more juice and flavor to pieces of meat (of any type) that are naturally dry. Or, that they need a long time to cook, as can happen in large pieces of meat, then they can lose the liquid and be like a sole.
And if we want to eat a shoe sole, we are not going to be spending on meat, don’t we? We grab an old shoe and remove the insole and we are. Follow me for more cooking tips. Enough, let’s get back to the shredded meat recipe.
For the wicking technique, you have to open holes in the meat and introduce ingredients that help us to give it flavor and juiciness. The most common is to add fat, such as when you add bacon or bacon strips to the tenderloin. The things you use for this are called “highlights”, like the ones you do at the hairdresser but richer. Truffles, aromatic herbs, vegetables, nuts are also added to it. Think of ingredients that can give the shredded meat the special flavor you are looking for.
Of course, when you wick the meat, you do it raw. For this, a wicking or roving needle is usually used , which makes life easier. You can introduce liquids where we want and life is rosy. But hey, almost no one has a roaster in the house, so I’m going to teach you how to grill meat the old way: with a knife, gentlemen. And if. What did you expect?
We need a long, thin knife and take this into account: when making shredded meat, the holes must be made in the same direction as the fibers of the meat used. And before cooking it, the meat must be flanged or tied so that it retains its shape and does not spread them all over the place.
Ready, taking all this into account, we can continue with our recipe for shredded meat. Now yes, enjoy it!
everything will be super cute!
- 1 piece of bondiola or pork needle of 2 kg (you can also use beef tenderloin)
- 250 gr of bacon
- 6 cloves of garlic
- 2 onions
- 2 bay leaves
- Oregano, thyme, herbs
- 1 glass of dry white wine
- Olive oil
Shredded meat recipe step by step
melts in your mouth!
- Locking the meat: if you have a roving needle, it’s your time to be very easy. If not, make thin cuts in the same direction of the meat fibers, without cutting it completely, throughout the entire cut of meat. Add, in equal parts, the bacon in the cuts.
- Crush the garlic together with the salt, pepper and herbs. If necessary add a dash of oil to make it easier. You can use a mixer or simply a mortar.
- Distribute the garlic paste throughout the meat. Inside the cuts too.
- Tie the meat well so that it does not lose its shape during cooking.
- Put oil in a pot and when it is hot brown the meat on all sides. Add the coarsely chopped onions. If you want, you can add other vegetables. Cook for a few minutes.
- Add the glass of white wine and let the alcohol evaporate. Add the bay leaves and some more herbs and lower the heat to low. Cover the pot.
- Cook over a very low heat for approximately 90 minutes. After that time, turn the meat and cook for 90 more minutes.
- After time remove the meat, mash the vegetables together with the cooking juice to make a sauce. Remove the string from the meat and cut into portions.
- Serve alongside the sauce and baked potatoes!