Good morning, good afternoon, good evening or whenever you are reading this post! In today’s chapter I bring you a classic of Thai food: Pad Thai. This wok recipe is one of the tastiest dishes in all of Thailand’s cuisine. Have you ever tried it?
I know that Pad Thai Wok sounds like a super exotic name , but it has ingredients that we can easily find in the market! Yes well, you may have to look for some other ingredient in a store that sells Asian things, but you can really get everything!
I’ve been wanting to make Thai food for a while, and pad thai to start with seems like a totally wonderful world. Full of flavors and textures different from what we are used to on this side of the world. Maybe some of this will come through my YouTube channel … I don’t know. I am thinking about it. What do you say? Did we try more Thai recipes?
Today we are going to try Pad Thai, undoubtedly the most iconic dish in Thai cuisine. And one of my favorites, of course! If you want any other recipe in particular, tell me in comments so we do them!
About this Pad Thai Wok recipe
Actually Pad Thai Wok is the nickname, the full name is a whole poem: Kuey Thiaw Pad Thai. Ugh, I got agitated just saying it in full! ” Kuey thiaw ” refers to the rice noodles used in the recipe. ” Pad ” means stir fry, ” thai ” is obviously Thai style … So strictly speaking, Kuey Thiaw Pad Thai means “Thai style rice noodle stir fry”.
The traditional recipe is made with prawns, and that is what we will use in our recipe, but it can also be made with chicken, tofu, pork, vegetables … Whatever you prefer!
Also, obviously, you can do it with any type of noodles. The ideal is to do it with rice noodles, but if you didn’t get it, or you don’t have it on hand and you craved Pad Thai Wok, with the noodles that you have in the cupboard and inside! You know that in the KitchensCity corner we cook with what we have !!
This recipe serves two people, so if you want more or less, you know how to calculate!
How to replace some ingredients in Pad Thai!
We even get soy sauce in the supermarket, but there are little things that can cost a little more. Like for example tamarind paste.
How do I make it taste similar? Well, here is a little trick for you: add two tablespoons of lime juice or a dash of vinegar (little).
Oyster sauce is easier to find, but if you can’t find it, you can make it yourself! I use 1/2 cup of soy sauce, 1/2 cup of water, a can of natural mussels, two tablespoons of brown sugar (or muscabo) and a tablespoon of starch or cornstarch.
What you have to do is very very simple: we crush all the ingredients together and we take it in a little pan to the fire for approximately 5 minutes. Until thickened. We let it cool and that’s it!
Easy did they see? Friends have no excuses to try this way of making Pad Thai at home! Try it and tell me how it turned out!
Ingredients for Pad Thai
- 200 gr of rice noodles
- 10 prawns
- 100 gr of bean sprouts
- 2 green onions
- 2 eggs
- 2 cloves of garlic
- A handful of peanuts
- Optional: tofu, mushrooms, chili powder
- Oyster sauce
- Soy sauce
- Tamarind paste
- 1 tbsp muscovado sugar or brown sugar.
- 1 lima
- Ciboulette or cilantro to decorate
- 1 cup of water
Prawn Pad Thai Recipe
If we can’t go to Thailand, let Thailand come to us!
- Leave the rice noodles soaking in warm water.
- Chop the green onion, garlic and fillet the mushrooms. Sauté everything for 3 minutes in a pan with a drizzle of oil. Take the pan off the heat
- Clean the prawns and reserve the heads. Brown until they are a good orange color. Reserve.
- Crush the prawn heads to remove their coral and mix it with the sautéed vegetables. Add a cup of water and the noodles that were soaked. Cook.
- Thai sauce: mix two tablespoons of oyster or fish sauce, a splash of soy sauce, a teaspoon of chili powder and two tablespoons of tamarind paste. Mix well and incorporate, to taste, in the sauté.
- Mix and let it taste. Approximately 2 minutes. When the mixture dries and the noodle is cooked add the eggs and mix until cooked.
- Serve arranging the prawns that had been reserved on top, the roasted peanuts and chives or coriander on top. Accompany with the lime cut into quarters and enjoy the best Thai dish !!