Sour cream is one of those products that everyone has in the refrigerator. Due to its high-fat content, it is very nutritious, therefore it is used not only in cooking but also as a healing agent. However, this product is perishable, especially when it comes to natural sour cream. Not everyone knows how much sour cream can be stored and how to do it correctly. That is why most people can find sour cream in an open film packaging on the refrigerator shelf. How and how much to store open sour cream – we will tell you here.
Important about storing sour cream
- Whatever one may say, you can store no more than 3 days in homemade sour cream without preservatives.
- You cannot freeze sour cream. After defrosting, it will lose its consistency.
- Do not buy sour cream with a long shelf life in the store. A whole arsenal of preservatives was probably added to it.
How to store sour cream
The shelf life of this fermented milk product is extremely short. Any sour cream, whether homemade or purchased, should be kept in the refrigerator. At room temperature, this product can deteriorate in just a few hours.
Earlier (and even now in the villages) clay jugs with the same lids were used to store sour cream. To prolong the life of this product, as well as to preserve the smell and taste, a sugar cube was dipped into the pot.
In order to enjoy a delicious product to the maximum, there are several simple rules for use and storage:
- crumbs and other food that may be in it with a spoon should not be allowed to enter the container with sour cream – it must be clean and dry;
- only a clean spoon, previously scalded with boiling water, can be immersed in a container with sour cream;
- the only materials suitable for storing sour cream are glass and ceramics, plastic and metal are unsuitable for this;
- the best place in the refrigerator for sour cream is the middle shelf of the refrigerator;
- sour cream should be taken out of the refrigerator for a short time, when the product is at room temperature for a long time, it may deteriorate;
- foreign objects (spoons, for example) should not be left in a container with sour cream;
- if whey begins to separate, then you need to use such sour cream as soon as possible, as this means that it will soon deteriorate.
How to store open sour cream
The purchased store sour cream must be sent to the refrigerator as soon as possible. If the original packaging is opened, then it is necessary to transfer the product to a glass or ceramic container with a tight lid.
If you prefer to store sour cream in the refrigerator in the plastic bag in which it is sold, then after each use, cover the cut with a clothespin and in no case lick the cut. Sour cream in a plastic glass can be tightly covered with a lid and sent to the refrigerator for a short time.
When buying sour cream in a store, first of all, you must carefully read the composition on the package. If, besides cream and sourdough, something else is indicated, then this is the so-called “sour cream” or sour cream products that have nothing to do with sour cream. Try not to consume such a product at all. All that is good in it is long shelf life.
Shelf life of sour cream according to GOST
If the product is prepared in accordance with GOSTs, then its shelf life in the original packaging is 5-10 days. This is how much is usually indicated on the packaging. If the term is much longer than these numbers, then you have come across an unnatural product.
The same standards recommend using an open sour cream package within 72 hours.
Sour cream shelf life
The average shelf life of sour cream can be equated to the GOST indicators, but depending on the temperature and other nuances, the numbers can vary significantly.
It is important to know that under no circumstances should you eat expired sour cream! Feed it to pets, use it in baking, just throw it away – anything but eat!
In this product, pathogenic microflora grows very quickly, which can lead to serious poisoning, so do not save and be careful!
So you need to know:
- at a temperature of 6-8 ° C, sour cream can be stored for 10 days;
- at a temperature of about 0 ° C, closed sour cream in a package can be stored for about 30 days;
- open packaging of natural sour cream is stored for no more than 3 days;
- homemade sour cream must also be eaten within 3 days.
Is it possible to freeze sour cream in the freezer
Is it possible to store sour cream in the freezer – this question is considered by many to be controversial. In fact, there was and is not anything controversial about it. There is only one truth here – you cannot freeze sour cream!
Low temperatures can prolong the life of this food, but not freeze. This will lead to a change in the consistency of sour cream, taste, and a reduction in beneficial properties.
Simply put, after thawing, sour cream can no longer be eaten. It is better to buy or prepare it in the right amount and use it as soon as possible than to freeze the leftovers, which will anyway become unusable for consumption and other purposes.