Color solutions for the kitchen: how to choose for a small one, which is the best combination in the headset, which one is suitable on the north side
Color plays one of the most important roles in the design of the kitchen, which one to choose. In order not to get into a mess in terms of identifying various color combinations, you must, first of all, find out some of the features of color in the interior.
Choosing the right color for the kitchen: psychology
Before choosing a color, you need to understand your psycho type, as well as your personal preferences.
A person usually has four different temperaments, but only one or two predominates in him. Therefore, the color for each of them will be different. For some, everything that is made in red causes aggression and anger, while for others this color means passion and fire. For a choleric person, a kitchen with a predominance of red or orange is ideal. In it, he will feel like a fish in water, but for a phlegmatic person, such cuisine is contraindicated because of the depressing effect. Sanguine people, as well as choleric people, are very active and active by nature, so it is better for them to use all warm, unmuffled shades. This can be, for example, orange, yellow or light green. Melancholic and phlegmatic people will not remain indifferent to the calm colors of the white and blue range, as well as to various blue options and classic brown shades.
It is also necessary to take into account the type of work performed: with constant communication with other people, during the work process, psychological overstrain can be felt, therefore it is better, even with such a psychotype as a choleric, to still make your choice in favor of a calm beige range. And people of creative professions should choose purple.
Favorable colors in Feng Shui
The color scheme should be filled with Yang energy, which is responsible for the harmony of a person’s inner forces. Inside such a room, fire and water are constantly fighting. They are symbolized by a sink with a stove. If you choose the color of the kitchen according to all the rules, then it is able to neutralize this conflict.
The most pacifying can be called all warm and light colors, which perfectly affect both the level of appetite and the energy and psychological level of a person. These colors are light beige, white, cream, light green, etc.
If we talk about the element of fire, then there is a lot of it in the kitchen interior, thanks to the almost constantly turning on the stove. If there is sufficient natural light in the kitchen, the shades of reds, oranges, and pinks should be ignored as they belong to the element of fire. This rule applies at the same time to the element of water, because the sink is responsible for it.
For this reason, it is not recommended to use bright cold colors. It is also worth considering that specific color and element is responsible for each zone, so you should not use the opposite shade for arranging the kitchen.
Below are the basic principles for harmonizing tiles in the kitchen:
- tiles, made in glossy black and white, will give the room a strict look, as well as additional style and chic at the same time, mainly an art style;
- black colors go well with gold and silver;
- furniture in white colors is in perfect harmony with mosaic tiles;
- black tiles will accentuate the red kitchen furniture;
- a tile of rich shades will give the kitchen a certain airiness and increase the volume of a small one;
- tiles made in gray color will make the kitchen colder and simpler, and also perfectly highlight the kitchen appliances;
- tiles and furniture of the same color will make the interior more classic;
- a countertop decorated like a stone will be emphasized by convex tiles or one that has a rough texture.
The color of the ceiling is perhaps the main parameter that affects the look of the kitchen interior. Choosing the right shade is quite difficult. It is always necessary to take into account the illumination of the kitchen and its size, as well as the color of the furniture itself.
Tips from designers for choosing a color for the ceiling:
A multi-level ceiling in a large kitchen needs to be decorated in different colors. As a result, a whole work of art will appear on it.
In order to properly arrange a glossy or matte stretch ceiling in a small kitchen, it is recommended to use the lightest shades: a rich color will empty the ceiling, and this is absolutely not to be allowed.
In the center, the tiered ceiling should not be too dark in color. This principle is suitable for a room that has any area.
The ceiling should be of such a color that it matches the style of the interior and matches the shades of kitchen furniture and accessories.
If you have a multi-level ceiling, it is not recommended to combine more than three colors. In this case, it is imperative to use one light shade.
It is better to choose a light color plastic panel or aluminum rail for the ceiling. Dark shades should be avoided, as in this case, they do not look so presentable.
It is necessary to try so that the drawing depicted on the stretch ceiling fits the general interior design.
The ceiling of a small kitchen will look best in the following colors: white, beige, creamy, milky, gray, golden, turquoise, lilac, and other shades of light colors.
A ceiling made of plasterboard should never be decorated in too dark and gloomy colors.
There is no doubt that a neutral color works best for kitchen floors. Among them, the shades that imitate wood and stone surfaces stand out. This floor fits perfectly with all furniture and goes well with all shades of the walls. It can be made both dark and light, however, this color has become a classic for a long time.
It is important to always remember that a dark floor can visually make a kitchen much smaller. True, if there is a light wall and furniture in a large kitchen, a dark floor will make it more elegant. He can really bring real chic and lightness to the room.
It is important to remember that if there is a white cat in the room, all its fur will be clearly visible on such a floor. On it, you can also see with the naked eye all sorts of crumbs and dried traces of water. Such a floor will suit you only if you are used to constantly cleaning, otherwise, such work can get bored very quickly and the floor will have to be repainted.
If you choose a floor that is light in color, such as white, gray, or milky, you can visually enlarge the kitchen space.
White is perfect for all contrasting shades. White flooring can be seen almost everywhere and is good for any interior design. However, let’s think about cats again. If there is a dark-colored pet in the room, all of its fur on the floor of a light shade will be visible to the naked eye.
The textured floor in white with a shade of gray and beige will perfectly hide dried water stains, as well as small light debris.
You can also combine the color of the floor. Let’s say there is a light color in the kitchen work area and a dark one near the dining table. It is always worth remembering that there are different materials for the floor, which means that they can also be used in an original way in the design of the kitchen.
Furniture: cold tones and warm tones for kitchen furniture fronts
The size of the kitchen space largely determines the color matching. Here are some rules to follow:
- Dark shades and a combination of bright contrasting colors are always suitable for large kitchens. It looks interesting to film the facades of kitchen furniture.
- For a small kitchen, you should choose furniture in a light pastel shade.
- To save the kitchen from fading, you need to use saturated colors in the little things: curtains, upholstery of chairs, in napkins and tablecloths, as well as in walls that need to be painted in a brighter tone than furniture.
- In the presence of the same color of furniture and walls, the first one should have a darker or lighter shade, in contrast to tiles or wallpaper.
- Most designers choose a method where the furniture is lighter in tone than the walls, but darker than the floor.
One must also accept the fact that color can visually make the space smaller or larger. A small kitchen needs furniture made in white, peach, beige, yellow, blue or light green colors. It will also have a more spacious look with a glossy façade.
The large kitchen looks great with furniture made in bright colors of warm colors, with the exception of the loft-style. If there is enough free space in it, it is recommended to use furniture in dark brown, black, dark green, red, purple, or orange. They all fill the empty spaces perfectly.
In the process of selecting furniture for the kitchen, you must also take into account the cardinal points. The amount of natural lighting depends on where the walls are looking. When the kitchen is located on the south side, it will often be illuminated by the sun’s rays, for this reason, it must be made cooler by picking up furniture in cold colors: purple, blue, blue. The kitchen, which is located on the north side, needs furniture made in warm colors: red, yellow, green.
Many professional psychologists do not recommend making walls in a kitchen with a rich color. This applies primarily to a small room where a lot of time is spent.
The dark color, as already mentioned, makes any space much smaller, for this reason it fits only into a large and spacious kitchen.
Cold shades cannot be used in it, because then such an interior will be monotonous, uninteresting, and impersonal.
If the kitchen lacks a natural source of lighting, then it is necessary to use the warmest and preferably pastel colors for the wall. If the kitchen is constantly illuminated by the sun’s rays, it is recommended to avoid flashy shades for the walls, because then they will turn even more saturated and even change their tone. Today, at the peak of its popularity, it is the color green. Many explain this by the fact that it has a wonderful effect on the digestive system of the body. In the kitchen, pistachio or calm salad shades, for example, in the Provence style, will look good. Pastel colors, yellow gloss, and red copper are also popular.
The shade of furniture and its design also plays an important role in the kitchen. For example, brown furniture matches the wall in warm peach and beige hues.
In practice, most people almost always define the shade of the wall so that it is in harmony with the furniture, and not furniture with the wall. If the latter needs to be somehow highlighted, the wall should have a dull appearance and be without large patterns. If you have as unusual furniture as possible, you need the walls to be neutral in color, without bright patterns.
If the kitchen furniture is decorated in light and calm shades, despite the fact that the kitchen itself is very large, the walls should be as catchy as possible.
The kitchen unit in a light shade must be separated from the wall. The latter can be bright, covered with some original pattern or large design elements.
If it is necessary to make sure that the pieces of furniture do not attract too much attention (the furniture is second-hand, has an inappropriate look, or is just unaesthetic), then it is necessary to emphasize the bright and expressive walls. This can be done with eye-catching designs and shades that are pleasing to the eye.
In a small room with a small amount of furniture, you need to give the walls a calmer, restrained shade, moreover, decorate one of them with a large picture.
In general terms, you should use the colors that are closest in tone.
It is worth considering the design of the furniture itself. If it was chosen to take into account the romantic and rustic style, then the wall should be light.
How to choose for a sunny kitchen
When choosing a color for a kitchen, perhaps the most important criterion is the degree of natural light, since in bright light each color is perceived completely differently.
What can we say, rich dark shades will fit perfectly into the interior of a brightly lit kitchen.
- Intense deep shade. In no case do you need to worry about the fact that a dark-colored wall will take away the free space of the kitchen, because it is constantly illuminated.
- A muted shade. It is better to prefer a calm range, because then the kitchen will not be too bright under direct lighting.
- Cool shade. He will give some coolness. Let’s say a blue-green wall or furniture in a south-facing kitchen will bring the freshness of the sea breeze there. The yellow-orange color of the walls and furniture will only enhance the feeling of heat.
- Natural shades imitating the color of sand, earth, ocher – will bring comfort and relaxation to your eyes even in the moment of the brightest sunlight.
- The interior of the kitchen, made in gray tones, will become more elegant.
How to match the color for the north side
If the kitchen faces north, then it is not necessary to make it exactly white. This applies to both walls, ceilings, and tiles, as well as furniture.
- When there is too much white in the interior, it becomes not entirely comfortable. And in this case there is a solution: you just need to choose one light pastel shade: cream, sand, light green or light blue (it should be very light).
- For the kitchen floor, you need to choose a tone that imitates wood, or the lightest laminate, carpet, you can use a light carpet. A very original solution: paint the floor white. The floor, walls and ceiling of light shades look great, besides, the same color scheme.
- Everything that concerns giving the interior of the kitchen additional light with the help of furniture and textile contrasts does not work here. First of all, furniture and fabrics of dark shades, since they absorb 50% of the light rays. If there is a pattern on the kitchen furniture, then this is tolerable. What you need to remember is the light color and its compatibility with the finish.
If we discard the walls, floor, and ceiling in the kitchen, then there is also subject content. True, you should know that it can be not only entirely white or light pastel color.
- to increase the illumination in the room, you need to add bright accents. The main feature of this trick is the selection of “pure”, basic colors;
- for example, if you choose red, then it should be exactly red, and not crimson, fuchsia or red and black;
- if they decide on yellow, then only with warm canary, not lemon, and so on;
- Avoid “acidic” shades;
- a kitchen decorated only in pastel light colors has a slightly darker look than the same, but with the use of bright accents.
A certain color can not only decorate the kitchen but also completely transform it, make it big, bright, and memorable. The main thing is to remember all of the above features of color combinations.