This time I bring you the recipe for Chicken Chop Suey. The quintessential Chinese food! If I ask you to think of Chinese food, this dish is surely one of the first that comes to mind. The Chop Suey, the spring rolls and some other more. Likewise, the Chop Suey did not originate in China. It’s from the United States…
There are a lot of versions of the story, some say that it was invented by an emigrant Chinese cook around 1800 … He wanted to make a very typical dish, and in the absence of the necessary ingredients, he made this dish with the things he had on hand. I stand up and applaud him standing if it was him! What a genius, we love him very much.
Another story says that some sailors entered a Chinese restaurant just before closing and asked for food. The cook gathered what was left and broke it with a stir fry and bang. Hello Chop Suey. I like this version of the story because it identifies me.
I love opening the refrigerator when it is time to do the shopping and it gives me confidence and take the 3 things that are in there and do magic. Good things always come out. And I can stretch out one more day to go to the supermarket. Do you like to go shopping? Because I hate it. Shopping itself is nice, but leaving the house, standing in line and coming back full is not one of my favorite activities in life. I’d rather be watching a movie, or reading, or I don’t know… I’d rather be staring at a kitchen tile for 2 hours. At that level! Much more now that it is quite a ceremony to return to buy, disinfect everything and blah blah. Oops, we beat around the bush!
What I’m going to is that this recipe for Chicken Chop Suey is the most in the world. And you can do it with the 2 vegetables that you have left in the fridge. And if you have chicken, you send him chicken. If you have pork, pork. If there is meat, meat. And so with everything!
Here I bring you the recipe. I challenge you to do the test and you will see that I am right: open your refrigerator and see how many ingredients you have in the Chop Suey . Sure you have more than half of the things! Write down this recipe to try it, go ahead, pay attention to KitchensCity who is always thinking of the best for you!
About this Chicken Chop Suey recipe
The recipe that I bring you today is a Chicken Chop Suey. They may not add any type of meat, or try seitan, or some other lean meat. You are going to see that we marinate the chicken in the recipe for a little while, you can do it with whatever you use!
Chop Suey is what the words “mixed chunks” sound like in Cantonese. They are combinations of sautéed vegetables with different types of meat.
Over time, the Chop Suey recipe has been modified and improved, there are a lot of variants, but what they all have in common are onion, carrot and bean sprouts. The latter is one of the main! It gives it a great touch.
They say that Chop Suey comes from the Cantonese dish Sap Kam, which means “ten precious things” and contains noodles, mushrooms and other things. Anyway, it doesn’t matter exactly where it comes from … This dish has become an emblem of Chinese food outside its borders for good reason: it’s terrific. Do you dare to try it?
4 servings of Chop Suey
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 green bell pepper
- 1 zucchini
- 1 onion
- 1 carrot
- 2 cloves of garlic
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 1 tsp grated ginger
- 2 chicken breasts
- 150 gr of bean sprouts
- Sesame oil (optional)
- 150 ml of soy sauce
- A handful of toasted cashews
- Picado chives
- Sauté oil
How to make chicken Chop Suey step by step
- In a bowl, mix the soy sauce with the grated garlic, lemon peel and ginger. Add the chicken breasts cut into cubes. Mix well and reserve.
- Cut the onion into a thick julienne. Cut the rest of the vegetables into sticks of the same thickness.
- Sauté the vegetables for 5 to 7 minutes. They must be cooked but crispy! Reserve.
- Put a wok or large skillet over high heat. Add a drizzle of oil and when it is hot add the chicken pieces, distributing it over the entire surface and do not move for 5 minutes. Only then can the wok be moved. It must be over high heat so that the sauce becomes thick. Cook for another 10 minutes. Until the chicken is cooked.
- Add the sautéed vegetables, bean sprouts and a dash of sesame oil. Sauté a few more minutes and voila!
- When serving, finish the dish by decorating it with sesame, chopped chives and toasted and chopped cashews. To enjoy!