Connoisseurs of good coffee know that you need to grind the beans just before preparing the drink, then its aroma and taste will be the most intense. The quality of coffee depends a lot on the grinding of the beans. And then the question arises, which grinder will grind them better? Apparatus for sale are of two types: rotary and millstone. The main difference between them is in how they work. But what an electric coffee maker for ground coffee looks like for home and how to use it, this information will help you understand.
Table of Contents
- Briefly about the rotational type
- Pros and cons of a millstone apparatus
- Which type is better to choose?
Briefly about the rotational type
In a rotary coffee grinder, the containers into which the beans are poured for grinding are equipped with knives. When the machine is turned on, these knives rotate quickly and chop the grains. The degree of grinding depends on its duration. To make the particles smaller, you need to grind a little longer.
Very efficient option for fast grinding
When choosing a rotary coffee grinder, you need to consider the following characteristics:
- Motor power . This indicator maneuvers from 100 W to 270 W. Often, the larger the hopper, the more power the grinder will have. The optimal power is 180 watts. But an apparatus with a power of 130 W will also grind grain well, only the process can last a couple of seconds longer. If the power of the appliance is too high, the beans may char and the coffee will have an unpleasant bitter taste.
- The material of the body of the device. The service life of the device largely depends on the material. Plastic parts often break. More durable – stainless steel coffee grinders. But they are more expensive than plastic models.
- Container capacity. The containers have a capacity of 40 to 120 grams. For one portion of “espresso”, the standard requires 7 grams of coffee. There is no dispenser in the device, so you need to measure the required amount of grains yourself. It is not recommended to store coffee in a container for more than half an hour. Otherwise, it will not differ from the purchased ground, part of the aroma disappears. Ideally, the coffee should be ground before brewing.
Rotary coffee grinders can be equipped with additional functions:
- Double knives will increase the grinding speed.
- The inclined bowl will ensure an even and intense grind.
- The grind adjuster will adjust the grind (coarse, medium or fine).
- Overheat protection. The motor automatically shuts off when it overheats, so it will not burn out, the service life of the device is thus increased.
Most rotary coffee grinders have an activation lock when the lid is open. The machine will not turn on until the cover is securely closed. This important function protects hands from injury and coffee from spilling.
Some models have a cord winding device, it can also be automatic, which makes the device more convenient to use. Check this function when purchasing the appliance. The cord should be wound evenly and not jam. Also, make sure that the length of the cord suits you.
You may also be interested in information on what the Delonghi espresso machine looks like with a cappuccinatore.
Pros of a rotary grinder:
- Convenient to use for grinding small quantities of grains.
- Compactness. Its small size and weight make it easy to take with you if necessary. It doesn’t take up much space in the kitchen.
- Affordable price.
Cons of Rotary Coffee Grinder:
- Grinding irregularity.
- Lack of dispenser. The required portion of the grains must be determined by yourself and filled in manually. Usually 1 tbsp is used for one cup of coffee. l. (no top) grains.
- Beans and ground coffee are in the same container. It is inconvenient to pick up the powder because of the knives. It is better to choose a model with a removable container so that it is convenient to pour out the ground coffee.
- The motor burns out rather quickly, usually one year in service. Can’t be repaired.
- Plastic parts of the case often break.
- They are not suitable for grinding other products, for example, cereals, peppers, nuts, because washing will not work well, the smell will remain and will affect the taste and aroma of coffee.
You may also be interested in information on how to choose a coffee machine for the home with a cappuccinatore.
Pros and cons of a millstone apparatus
In millstone coffee grinders, coffee beans are ground with millstones. They are usually made of stainless steel. The distance between the millstones is adjustable, the degree of grinding and uniformity depends on it. For mocha, cappuccino, espresso, these indicators are very important.
The power of the coffee grinders with millstones is 250-300 W. They are more powerful than the knife models. The grains are not burnt in them.
Millstones last longer. The millstones are made of a metal alloy. If they still have a titanium coating, then they will last a long time, as they are resistant to wear. In inexpensive models, cheap steel wears out over time, they serve less than those in which the metal parts are coated with titanium.
In machines of this type, there are usually two separate containers: for beans and for ground coffee. There are models in which you can pour a whole pack of them into a container for beans, and then indicate how many cups you need to grind coffee: the device will determine the required number of beans on its own.
When purchasing, check the tightness of the bean cup. Then they can be stored in this container for a long time without fear that the aroma will disappear.
It will also be useful for you to learn about what an electric coffee turret looks like in Turkish.
The disadvantages include the dimensions of the coffee grinder. There are models of rather large sizes, many need to think about its location in the kitchen. The price of some devices may also be confusing, which often depends on their multifunctionality.
Which type is better to choose?
Coffee lovers drink it in different ways: some limit themselves to one cup a day, some enjoy it even less often, and some even four cups a day will not be enough. And according to the strength, according to the method of preparation, everyone has different preferences. And when choosing coffee grinders, you just need to build on your preferences, on what kind of coffee, how many cups a day and how it is prepared.
Of the two types of grinder, the best grinder will be the one that is more appropriate for the situation.
Let’s say a coffee grinder is needed to grind beans for one or two cups of coffee a day, which is brewed in a Turk. And it is also assumed that from time to time they will grind cereals with it. This means that the volume of processing will be small. In addition, the degree of grinding and the uniformity of the particles are not of fundamental importance. In this case, you can choose a rotary knife grinder.
In another case, when you need more than a couple of cups of ground coffee a day if a geyser machine or a coffee machine is used for its preparation, where a uniform grind of a certain size is required, then a millstone coffee grinder is definitely needed.
You may also be interested in information on how an espresso machine with a coffee grinder looks like and how to use it.
Consider the pros and cons of each type of device, weigh how they fit your situation. And then the correctly selected device will please for a long time with its proper operation.