Good morning, good afternoon, good evening friends! Here Kitchenscity cooks with a recipe that will blow your wig away: traditional Arabic empanadas. Always yes to them. For me it is the tastiest Arabic food, if you have another, tell me in the comments and I will read them!
The Arab pies or Fatay, as they prefer to call them are a standard of not only Egyptian cuisine in the area, Palestinian and Syrian-Lebanese: the world !! We all belong to the Fatay fan club, obviously. They are the best empanadas in the universe.
About these arabic empanadas or Fatay
One of the main characteristics that differentiate Arabic empanadas from the rest of the mortal empanadas is the triangular shape they have. Another is that acid touch that lemon gives them. This is a typical characteristic of the gastronomy of the region. They always choose to add a citrus touch to their dishes and it really seems like something wonderful to me! Please how I love lemon !!
And finally, the fact that the meat is “cooked”, in principle, without heat, only with the lemon juice , makes this recipe completely different from all the others. Anyway, stop, do not panic, we are not going to eat minced meat only with lemon! After marinating it, it goes to the oven and there comes the real cooking.
So, my friends, if you want to prepare and eat something new but simple to eat and enjoy, this simple and easy to make Arabic empanadas recipe is the option you have been looking for .
It’s worth it, I assure you!
For the mass
- 500 gr of flour 0000
- 15 gr yeast
- 2 tablespoons sunflower or corn oil
- 200 cc of warm water
For the filling
- 500 gr of minced meat (as finely as possible)
- 2 onions
- 1 green onion
- 1 large tomato or 2 small tomatoes
- 1 medium bell pepper
- Juice of 3 lemons
- 1 bunch of parsley
- Ground chili
- 1 tbsp fresh mint
- 1 tbsp Baharat (7 spice mix)
- Black pepper
Arab empanadas recipe step by step
Also known as Fatay!
- Bring water to a boil in a small pot. When it comes to a boil, put the tomato (s) for a short time (about a minute) and remove with a slotted spoon. Remove the skin and chop into small cubes.
- Now to peel the bell pepper! For that, it must be put on a stove over a strong fire and as the skin burns, it must be turned. Once everything is burned, remove the skin. There are two ways: the first is under a jet of water and the second is to wrap it in film as soon as it is removed from the heat and let it cool there. Once it is warm remove the film and the skin will come off easily.
- Chop the onion, mint and parsley as small as possible.
- Mix all the ingredients : minced meat, tomato, onion, bell pepper, herbs, spices and seasonings, and salt. Add the lemon juice and incorporate very well.
- Cover the preparation with plastic wrap and put in the refrigerator for 8 to 10 hours to marinate . I recommend leaving it overnight, or mixing it early so you can have it for dinner!
- After the time has elapsed you will notice how the meat changed color. Perfect! It means that it was marinated and the meat took the taste we were looking for! Now what you must do is drain the leftover juices : both the lemon juice and the juice that the meat was releasing during the hours in which it was resting.
How to make dough for Arabic empanadas
Makes about 12 fatay!
Remember that you can also see the dough recipe for fried and baked empanadas that I published a few days ago and use them for this recipe!
- For the dough for Arabic empanadas , put the flour on the counter in the shape of a crown, in the center pour the yeast dissolved in a little warm water, mix a little and then add the oil and salt. Form the dough while adding the rest of the warm water. It should be a tender bun.
- Let the dough rest for about 20 minutes.
- Then, roll out the dough with a rolling pin and cut the discs to the size you like best.
- Reserve covering with a clean (obvious) and damp cloth. This is so that the dough for Arabic patties does not dry out.
I already have the dough and the filling, how do I continue?
Perfect, we already did the most difficult. Nothing is missing to be able to enjoy our Arabic empanadas! Nothing to envy to the most expensive Arab food restaurant in the city. Let’s make the empanadas and enjoy: all you have to do is fill the dough discs and give them the classic triangular shape of the Arab empanada. Then you have to place them in an oiled baking dish and cook them in a strong preheated oven until golden brown.
Serve the Arabic empanadas accompanied by lemon slices and enjoy!