Carpet in the kitchen: do-it-yourself rug on the floor, carpet and carpet from tiles to the working area, which can be laid instead of – waterproof
One of the modern trends in kitchen design is the use of carpets and rugs on the kitchen floor. Despite the seeming novelty of this element of kitchen decoration, the traditions of using such carpets have been in many cultures.
Think of the homespun cozy carpets or the colorful carpets in the eating area in oriental houses. What role does the kitchen rug play today? How to choose the right one?
Rug or rug in the kitchen: advantages and disadvantages
Another advantage of carpets, they help to protect the flooring from damage, for example, the carpet will protect well
plastic laminate from damage.
Pros of carpet in the kitchen:
- It is necessary when there is a small child or an elderly person in the house, as it can soften a person’s fall. A rug is especially needed in these cases if tiles are used as flooring.
- The rug is well suited for zoning the kitchen and living room , expands its space. For these purposes, carpets are used for the dining area. This also emphasizes the “living room” function of the kitchen, which is important for large kitchens.
- Of particular functional importance is the foot mat in the food preparation area. Since the legs are often very tired during cooking, the shock-absorbing mat will be very convenient for home cooks.
The use of a kitchen floor mat allows you to add interesting details to the look of the kitchen, emphasize its overall style, and make it unique.
- The rug on the kitchen floor gets dirty quickly, dust accumulates in it and under it, all this reduces the hygiene of the kitchen environment;
- taking care of these things complicates house cleaning;
- since kitchen rugs must be cleaned or washed frequently, they wear out quickly.
Dining area rug
The rug used in the dining area allows you to:
- highlight this area in the kitchen space;
- reduce the load from the table and chairs or a floor cabinet for dishes on the coating, which is very important if this coating is linoleum);
- prevent the breakage of dishes when setting the table;
- improve the design of the kitchen, add new decor details and choose a color scheme.
Secrets of choice
- The dimensions of this rug should be larger than the dining area, namely, at least 0.6 m on each side, so that the chairs can be pulled out.
- It is desirable that in shape it coincides with the shape of the table. This will visually more clearly separate the dining area and better visually combine furniture and carpet into one area of space.
- The material from which such a rug is made must be durable (since there is a significant load on it) and easy to clean.
Floor coverings in the work area
It is best to have a few small rugs in the work area that are easy to wash.
These kitchen rugs can also have a functional and aesthetic value:
- they delimit the working area of the kitchen;
- May contribute to less leg fatigue when preparing food;
- reduce the risk of falling on slippery floors and reduce its consequences;
- help to reduce the risk of accidental breakage of dishes;
- serve as part of the decor.
How to choose
- It must be made of durable and at the same time lightweight materials so that it can be easily assembled and, for example, washed in an automatic machine;
- since such a rug lies in the most vulnerable part of the kitchen from the point of view of contamination and will be washed or cleaned often, then its material must be sufficiently resistant to the effects of cleaning and detergents;
- for the safety of being in a kitchen with a slippery floor, it is necessary that this rug has an anti-slip base;
- if the kitchen also has a carpet in the dining area, then these rugs should be in harmony with each other in color and, in general, contribute to the creation of a single design style in the kitchen.
For those who are trying to lead a healthy lifestyle or have certain diseases, it is very important to purchase a massage or special shock-absorbing mat as such a kitchen thing. Fortunately, the choice of such rugs is now great, which will allow you to find one that will meet both the therapeutic and prophylactic goals and the design of the kitchen.
Carpet: pros and cons
There are advantages and disadvantages to using continuous carpets in the kitchen. What are they?
- The carpet protects the floor surface in all areas of the kitchen.
- Carpet flooring, to a greater extent than all other options, reduces the risk of injury when a person falls, which is very important for families with the elderly or sick people.
- The use of carpet creates a special atmosphere of soft comfort.
- Modern household appliances and cleaning products can effectively clean the surface of the carpet.
Disadvantages of carpet:
- It will wear out quickly in the working area of the kitchen, where a strong dynamic effect (“trampling” and “crossing out”), the effect of high temperature and humidity will be exerted on it;
- unevenly worn areas of carpet (in the working and dining areas) in the kitchen will give it an unkempt look as a whole;
- in places inaccessible for cleaning a continuous carpet, dirt and dust will accumulate, which will create an opportunity for the reproduction of harmful bacteria;
- when using carpeting, the possibility of design changes in the kitchen in relation to the floor surface is reduced. It becomes more difficult to change the look of the kitchen, to introduce new ideas into it.
The need for frequent cleaning of the carpet using strong detergents (and in the work area, these agents must still have a disinfectant effect) is also a factor in the rapid deterioration of its appearance.
How to fit into the interior of the kitchen
Buying a carpet for the kitchen will contribute to a brighter and more distinct embodiment of ideas for decorating the interior of the kitchen space. Features of rugs for kitchens of different styles can be as follows:
Loft, minimalism, high-tech
These styles are of the so-called modern trend. Despite a number of differences, they also have common features, which are, first of all, in the fact that they have in the first place the functionality of space, its manufacturability, ensuring an atmosphere of freedom, and minimizing burdensome details. A loft-style apartment is a contradictory combination of seeming underdevelopment with thoughtful practicality and luxury. Kitchen decoration in relation to the floor surface should be consistent with this concept.
Loft – industrial style, but the carpet will look harmonious
Since one of the basic principles of a loft is zoning, and the floor is usually covered with stone-like tiles or wooden slats, a minimalist woven carpet or a lint-free rug made of modern materials in the same style will be quite appropriate in the kitchen area. A mat may well be suitable near the countertop, and a felt or felt carpet for the dining area.
A high-tech kitchen rug should match its style of practicality and conciseness. Despite the fact that the kitchen in this style is a combination of metal and glass, and the floor is cast, stone or ceramic floor tiles.
A lint-free rectangular rug, solid color or with a strict geometric pattern is appropriate.
Minimalism. Despite the declaration of the rejection of decorativeness, a practical non-slip rug under the feet of the countertop is suitable for such a kitchen. Acceptable colors: gray (graphite), black, brick, wood color.
It is the carpet in a minimalist kitchen that can become the only decor element – then even a fluffy rug of a bright (for example, red) color is possible.
Retro kitchens. The very content and principles of this style are very diverse. Since the retro style includes trends from the Victorian to the Soviet-style of the 50s, the appearance of the kitchens will be different and the rugs will be different:
- a special flavor in the English style will give an expensive and, perhaps, even a fleecy carpet of noble colors;
- for a retro kitchen in the spirit of the 40s, bright handmade carpets are suitable both in the dining area and on the floor near the kitchen set;
- Cheerful textiles on the kitchen floor will enliven the look of a kitchen that takes us back to the 1950s.
Vintage is one of the most attractive kitchen designs. This is due not only to the kind, homely mood of this style, but also to the fact that it is still easy to find real things released in the 60s, which are a sign of this style.
Vintage is bright carpets and rugs
Unpretentious woven and knitted rugs near the countertops, and a little nap woolen carpet (possibly preserved from those times) with ornaments or shabby chic decor in the dining area will perfectly fit into the interior of a vintage kitchen.
For lovers of this style, vintage carpets are specially produced today. They are made using a special technology, thanks to which they immediately look worn out, while the new carpets are made of durable and high quality materials.
Country and Provence just needs the introduction of various kitchen rugs and rugs. Provence style in the interior is simply unthinkable without woven paths in the work area, handmade carpets in the dining room, various knitted and patchwork rugs. They can vary in color, but the main principle – comfort and naturalness – will be observed in their decor and material.
The rugs that will be on the floor of ethno-style kitchens will emphasize specific ethnic features. Along with the general rules of ethno-style – originality, and naturalness, depending on what kind of kitchen look you create, you need to use carpets of a certain type.
For a Central Asian-style kitchen, you will need colorful ornamented oriental carpets in the dining area, homespun paths in the work area, for a northern one, a fluffy carpet-skin in the dining area will be natural.
Design and style: classic, modern, art deco, gothic, baroque
It is quite possible to use carpets on the floor of kitchens decorated in these styles, but it has its own rules:
If a rug is needed in a classic style, then it should be in the same color scheme, in restrained tones. Recommended colors: from beige to cognac tones, blue, from green – olive and dark green, gray. No pretentiousness either in color or in the shape of the carpet is allowed.
The clarity of the lines in the design of the Art Nouveau kitchen does not exclude their curvature. Therefore, a lint-free one-color (monochrome is the principle of modernity), corresponding to the color scheme of the kitchen interior, the oval rug will fit well into the space of this room.
The art deco style, combining neoclassicism and modern, requires a brighter, sometimes contrasting design of the kitchen space. You can choose a solid color or with pronounced geometric patterns, or even with an ornament (preferably large and expressive) carpet on the floor. In its color, it is preferable – brown, black, gray tones.
Classic styles need luxurious, elegant carpets.
The presence of carpets in the kitchen in the Gothic style is only welcome, due to their presence in such rooms in the very era imitated by this style. Decorated low-pile rugs in purple, brown, yellow, blue, lying both near the countertops and in the dining area, will add historical authenticity to the Gothic cuisine.
In the interior of the kitchen, made in the Baroque style, carpets are simply recommended for creating a holistic image of sophistication and wealth. In this case, the function is not so important as the artistic component of the thing. It should be a rug that accentuates the luxurious ambiance of the kitchen space.
Good do it yourself
Gorgeous lint-free floor mats can be made by hand. This will require certain skills, but it will allow you to have an original thing in the kitchen interior.
There are many options for making such things. Usually, you need multi-colored stripes (shreds) of different fabrics, in some cases a strong fabric for the base, the presence of a sewing machine at home, sometimes you can do without it. Such a rug can be made using a patchwork technique. But, perhaps, the easiest way to make such a rug:
- cut strips from shreds;
- sew short strips into long ribbons;
- weave pigtails from these ribbons;
- sew (connect) these strips.
Depending on how the strips will be sewn, you can get rugs of different shapes (rectangular, round).
For such rugs, you can also use scraps and scraps of different fabrics, synthetic (nylon), and cotton yarn. You can crochet chair covers and potholders to match the rugs.
One of the most common knitting techniques for such garments is oversized crochet. These rugs are usually knitted with single crochet.
Striped rug will liven up a plain floor
When making a rug with your own hands, you should take into account that it should not only be beautiful, correspond to the style of the kitchen, but it will also need to be washed or cleaned often.
The use of kitchen carpets is associated with overcoming operational difficulties and caring for these things.
Many problems with carpets on the kitchen floor can be solved:
- modern household appliances are able to effectively clean not only smooth, but also fleecy and textile floor surfaces;
- this cleaning can also be carried out in hard-to-reach places of the kitchen, which is important for a continuous carpet;
- carpet cleaners include not only detergents but also antibacterial agents;
- the material of many kitchen rugs allows them to be washed in modern multi-mode washing machines.
Kitchen carpet care
The care of a kitchen floor carpet is largely determined by the material from which it is made. The possibility of using a vacuum cleaner for these purposes, washing this thing, cleaning it with special detergents at home depends on this; the need for dry cleaning.
The size and weight of the carpet play an important role in this case.
Decisions on the purchase (manufacture) of a rug for the floor in the kitchen and on the choice of the option for such a floor covering should be made based on the answers to the questions:
- Why do you need such a rug? What role will it play in the kitchen?
- Are there opportunities and conditions for caring for such a thing?
- To what extent does the material from which a particular rug is made correspond to the operational requirements associated with the peculiarities of the kitchen?
- Does such a carpet fit into the interior of the kitchen?
The rug in the kitchen brings a touch of coziness and a home mood.
But most of us still choose what we like. Still, rugs or carpet for the forge is not so difficult to change.