You can’t imagine how much my baked meat has improved since I learned all this.
15 Tips for roasting meat in the oven
Table of Contents
15 Tips for roasting meat in the oven
- Choose large cuts of meat
- How to marinate baked meat?
- Can you cook frozen meat?
- Keep the meat at room temperature
- Pat the meat dry with a paper towel
- On which side to cook meat when it has bone on it?
- On which side to cook meat when it has fat?
- Preheat the oven to maximum before putting the meat
- How to seal baked meat?
- Lower the oven to 180º for the rest of the cooking.
- The cooking time depends on the type and size of the meat, but a good guide could be:
- Sprinkle the meat with its own juices or with the marinade during cooking
- Pricking, cutting or crushing the meat during cooking is prohibited
- How to know if the meat is ready?
- Let the meat rest 15 minutes after cooking so that the juices are reabsorbed
- Meat doneness points
Choose large cuts of meat
Choose a large piece of meat, so it will be easier to prevent it from drying out and we will make the meat tender, having the possibility of choosing any point of doneness. This will also be essential if we think of roast meat.
This will obviously only be possible with certain cuts of meat, which are the ones I recommend for the oven.
How to marinate baked meat?
While the marinade is optional, it’s nice to know that it softens the meat and gives it a juicier texture.
Here are some marinades that you can use for your cuts, then tell me if you like them.
Can you cook frozen meat?
Well no. We must defrost the meat completely before cooking it. Never put meat in the oven frozen or half frozen – it will come out tough.
If we want to freeze cuts of meat it is fine, but we must defrost them in advance for cooking.
Keep the meat at room temperature
At least 2 hours before cooking: this way we ensure that it is tender and juicy.
Pat the meat dry with a paper towel
You will obtain a more golden meat, although this point is not essential.
On which side to cook meat when it has bone on it?
If the cut of meat has bone like the roast strip, it goes down.
On which side to cook meat when it has fat?
If you chose a fatty cut of meat, the fattiest side is on the top.
Preheat the oven to maximum before putting the meat
Do not put it in with the oven freshly lit, it will be difficult to seal.
How to seal baked meat?
Seal the meat at maximum temperature for 5-10 minutes depending on the cut of meat. This way it will brown on the outside and it will not lose its juices.
Lower the oven to 180º for the rest of the cooking.
The temperature should be low and constant.
The cooking time depends on the type and size of the meat, but a good guide could be:
- Juicy meat: 15 minutes per 1/2 kg.
- Ready meat: 20 minutes per 1/2 kg.
- Boneless pieces: 25 minutes per 1/2 kg.
Sprinkle the meat with its own juices or with the marinade during cooking
Do it at least 3 times, this will make it juicier.
Pricking, cutting or crushing the meat during cooking is prohibited
It should not lose its juices.
How to know if the meat is ready?
Once the appropriate time has passed, if you have doubts you can puncture the meat in the center and evaluate:
- Reddish juices: meat undercooked, needs more cooking.
- Pink juices: medium cooked meat (on point).
- Colorless juices: meat very well done
Do not repeat more than 2 times so that the meat does not lose its juices as we mentioned in the previous point
Let the meat rest 15 minutes after cooking so that the juices are reabsorbed
Do not cut the meat immediately after removing it from the oven as it continues to cook inside for the next few minutes. When cut, the meat should not be giving off steam or juices.
If you liked this post, you may also be interested in the recipe for roast in the oven with potatoes or the step by step to make tenderized meat in the oven.
Meat doneness points
In the following image we can see how the temperature of the meat cuts affects its cooking point. It is very important that we take this guide into account so that we achieve the desired doneness.